II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Preconceived Notions

As I was standing in the grocery store check out line today I realized that my purchases looked really healthy. I was buying: a head of cabbage, green and red apples, bananas, chicken breast and peas. The ONLY reason that is all I was buying is because I had 10 minutes to grab as much from my list as I could and that is what I came up with. I had to be at Brooklyn's school to pick her up so I figured I would just get what I could in that much time. Anyway, this spurred me to thinking about how some people look like the "healthy natural" kind of people and then there are those who you think are probably the "chips and snackcakes" kind of people. I thought, "I wonder what kind of person I look like??" I thought if a person has lots of fake stuff done to them (hair colors, fake nails, tattoos, peircings or if they are very overweight) I would probably assume they are the "unhealthy" kind of person. But if a person has natural nails, little or no make up, modest clothes, clear skin..then I tend to assume they're probably a really healthy kind of person. Isn't that silly?!? I mean, there could be some truth to that...but not necessarily. That's like assuming every brown person can speak Spanish. It's just not so. Anyway, I wonder...how many of our preconceived notions are really accurate?!? I actually feel embarrased when I walk into GNC with Matt to buy some of his nutritional supplements because I think the workers probably look at me and think "what's SHE doing in here? She obviously doesn't use our stuff!" Not that I think I am a cow or anything..but I don't look especially "fit" (especially when I am fully clothed......or completely unclothed for that matter! ha ha) Anyway, that's what was on my mind this afternoon. I knew you'd all wanna know! hehe

3 comments:

Kate said...

Good post - you got me to thinking about everything I had in my grocery cart last night. One might think that I'm Italian w/ all of the olive oil, peppers, meats, pasta, sauces, etc. But no, I'm just married to one - lol. And yes, I feel the same exact way when I walk into the gym b/c I'm not a stick. I have plenty of meat on my bones, but it's healthy and it's just the way God built me. And God don't make junk :) I think as girls, though, we all struggle w/ trying to figure out just what people are thinking about us, when really, it's just not important. What's important is how we treat/feed the bodies that God gave us, so that our actions are pleasing to Him. And btw, my preconceived notions of you from seeing your pics and reading this blog are that you are very health conscious, in style, and take great care of yourself! You've got a bright and smiley face to prove it.

KC said...

You know, I've never really thought about it much...I mean here I am in the grocery store with lots of fresh veggies/fruits/ground turkey, etc...but then I always have some kind of junk foods in there for the boys (little debbie christmas tree cakes, chips, cookies, spaghetti-o's, etc..)

Girl you should never feel embarrassed about going into GNC (or anywhere else for that matter). You are a beautiful, healthy, strong woman! Hold your head up and be proud of all that you have already accomplished! I know I'm very proud of you! :)

Jenelle said...

I have thoughts about what what the clerk thinks about my grocery collection or the impatient shopper behind me. Then my kids do something inappropriate and that removes any thoughts about my food and shift it to my parenting skills... Then I remember that I won't likely see them again.
We all feel like we don't fit the mold - even the size 0 model. It's never good enough. But that isn't what God is asking of you. Charm is deceitful, and beauty is van, but a woman who fears the Lord - she will be praised.