II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

I did it! I crossed over to the other side!!!

Well, ya'll aren't gonna believe this but I did something today I've never done before. SOOOO many (almost all) of my friends do it...addicts practically. But not me. Not ever. I've been proud throughout my 29 years that I am different than the rest of the world in this way...but curiosity got the best of me and I decided to just give it a try. I bought my first cup of coffee today!!!! Technically it was a Carmel Mocha Latte, I believe--to which I added a sprinkle of Swiss Chocolate Creamer and a whole packet of Sweet-N-Low...but once I got it all swirled and stirred up, it was actually pretty good!! I'm just shocked that I liked it. I've always HATED coffee. Even just the smell of it grosses (ed) me out...but here lately, when I walk through the coffee isle at Wal-Mart and if someone is doing that fresh-ground thingy...ahhh..it smells so good. WeIrD!
I won't become addicted to it though. Here's why: The medium sized one I bought today was $3.70!!!! That's CrAzY! I can get a whole combo meal for that much money..but just a drink?!? Also, who KnOwS how many calories that thing had in it. I'm thinking a LoT! Plus, instead of giving me an energy boost, when I finally put the thing down (after I drank about 1/2 of it) I had a stomachache and felt like I was sloshing everytime I took a step. Too. Much. Liquid.
I might give one of those fancy-schmancy places a try sometime though...like Starbucks or Panera or something...since this one just came from a little hole-in-the-wall place that is connected to Subway in our little town.
I would still classify myself as a non-coffee drinker..but at least now I can hang out with all my friends and drink something besides soda or boring old hot chocolate!

11 comments:

smiling's my favorite said...

it's about time you grew up. coffee is not just caffeine, it's culture. can't wait to buy you a cup of joe.

Amy said...

Jen,
If you don't like coffee, you should try a chai latte. They are SO good! Well, I personally like coffee better but chai lattes are a close 2nd in my book. And if you're worried about calories almost any place will make you any kind of latte with skim milk. And some even have sugar free flavor syrups (like caramel, vanilla, etc). My personal favorite is a skinny caramel latte from Starbucks. Give it a try and let me know what you think. (And Starbucks chai lattes are great too!)

Ordinary Randomness said...

I too really didn't drink coffee much till I started working downtown in an office building. Once I started I would drink about a pot a day. Then I started at Starbucks, started slow with a Cafe Mocha ( its just like hot chocolate ), next thing I know I was getting 3 double cappuchinos a day. Our new blog http://www.marriedleos.com

Amos said...

You were brave! I wouldn't buy a cup of coffee anything, it's just plain gross. I could soup it up however and I can still taste the nasty stuff through it all. And I agree with you on the price, ridiculous. I love Jamba Juice, but it is a treat for me since it's spendy too. I will remain in the non-coffee junkie group and I don't feel bad about it at all.

Tammy said...

This made me laugh. I'm not a coffee-drinker either. I'm a fountain pop girl. My husband thinks it would be much more 'grown up' of me to drink coffee! HA! Coffee would not change my immature behavior!!

And I'm with ya on the whole price thing. I once wrote a whole rant about Starbucks. $5 for a cup of coffee? INSANE! And I'm totally confused by the menu.

KC said...

Yea for you! :) haha So will you be trying it again????

I didn't drink coffee until I married my husband. He got me addicted. I drink about a pot a day. but I only like "Folgers Columbia Roast". I do like the "Sugar Free" French Vanilla Cappuccino at the gas station though too. Those are my splurge (because of the calories), so I only have about 2-3 a YEAR...mostly if I am g-saling or something.

I used to drowned my coffee in sugar free creamer and sweet-n-low...but I started adding up my calories, and what a waste! So I started drinking it black with just sweet-n-low in it. YUM! :) What can I say, I'm a coffee addict.

I don't do Starbucks though, I would never feel right about spending that kind of money...Yikes!

I do love IHOP's coffee though, YUM! It is delicious!

Kate said...

Be careful on those calories girl! I am addicted to Starbuck Skim Chain Latte's (b/c I really don't like coffee), but MAN OH MAN the sugar content! It's the same as a can of pop. That coupled with the cost keep me away. I love me some tea which is cheap and good for you (w/o sugar) - especially green.
Remember what Jillian says - don't drink your calories; it's waste.

Kate said...

and I meant to say Chai Lattes, not "chain"

Trudi said...

I crossed over to the other side too. However, I never committed to it. I drank assorted flavored coffees. After about a year of wasting $5 a cup, I decided that it was not necessary. Enjoy! But not too much!

Logzie said...

$5 a cup?? Wow!! Where are you all getting your coffee at?? The Starbucks here in MI only charges $2.55 for a Hazlenut latte!!!

MJ-glad to see you crossed over to the "DARK" side..."dark ROAST" that is! LOL!!!

Besides all that...dont' you know that a Starbucks coffee cup is simply a fashion statement these days? LOL! It enhances any outfit and really means you ARE somebody!...LOL!!!!!! (kidding...but I bet some people really do think that!) :0)

Rachael Rae Diaries said...

All I have to say is you rock my world! Now if you ever come up north then you can go get coffee with Logziella and I and chat about life! Yes!