II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Thrifty Thursday (and other ramblings)

So....how've ya been? It's been a while! Long time, no post! ha ha. Well, I have LOTS of things to post about and LOTS of pictures to share...but you'll have to wait. I just don't have the time right now. However, I am taking 5 minutes out of my crazy-busy-life to post a Thrifty Thursday because I just saw that Logzie remembered to do it..which reminded me. I've actually been thinking about this all week and have thought up several good contenders...BUT...of course, as I sit down to actually type and it is actually Thursday..not a one will come to my mind...So...that leaves me with something that is laying right in front of my face: a big stack of coupons. Yes folks, I am Jennifer Jones a.k.a. Coupon Connie. You can ask any of my buddies, I never leave home without my coupon purse. It's a cute little purse that I carry BESIDES my regular purse that is packed full of coupons. I have a coupon for almost EVERYWHERE! No kidding. I also have LOTS of $10 off of any purchase cards too. How do I do it? Everybody always wants to know. Well here's my secret:
Everytime you go into a store that you like and that you plan to re-visit--ask to be put on their e-mail list. You will immediately start getting coupons and special deals for that store. In addition, almost ALL stores have some kind of birthday club. Since MY BIRTHDAY IS JULY 10TH!!!!!!!, I have been getting all kinds of special birthday coupons and offers this month. Oops, I didn't mean to shout that at you...it's just that Wowsers! I can't believe my b-day is right around the corner and I've hardly had time to think about it!!
Anyway, I know it sounds like a lot of work and a lot of PAPER to carry around, but I promise you..it pays off! There are days that I go shopping when I barely spend a penny because I have so many free certificates or else I might have a 25% off coupon and I'll go shop the clearance at that store and if nothing else, I can usually find a gift to give someone. If I can find something on clearance for 50-70% off AND use my 25% off coupon...well, that makes for a great deal--and this is also how I start Christmas shopping early. If I have a coupon, I pretty much always use it unless I just can't get over to the store. Also, if you didn't know...many stores take expired coupons. Bed & Bath Beyond and Linen's & Things do...and they also take each others coupons. So do Home Depot and Lowes.
Another thing...and this is for the REALLY serious ones of you who are totally committed to this...I also have credit cards at almost ALL the stores I shop at regularly. I don't EVER EVER carry a balance on them...but I keep them and use them so I can reap the benefits, like free $10 certificate every time you spend $200 at Gap or Old Navy or Children's Place or Kohls. Now obviously, if you have a problem with debt or self control, you should opt out on this one....but if you can manage it...this is a great way to save money too.
One more thing I want to add before I end....another way to get signed up on all your favorite stores e-mail lists is to just visit their website. You can just register and add yourself and the coupons will start coming.
Here's my Motto: Never, never just pay the ticket price without at least first checking for an online coupon, looking in the phone book for a coupon or asking the sales clerk if there are any sales going on or discounts available. You'd be surprised what you can get!!!
By the way, ever since Logzie posted about doing price compare at Wal-Mart, I've been getting milk for $2.49 a gallon just by TELLING them that Wal-Greens has it on sale for that much. I haven't even ever had the ad with me..and they just do it...no questions asked. That's a pretty good savings considering I've bought 5 gallons of milk in the past week and a half and Wal-Mart is selling their brand for $3.89 a gallon!!!

4 comments:

Jen said...

okay, so I started this post out by saying I didn't have time to post and then I couldn't stop myself and I rambled on and on and then proceeded to post lots of pictures. Oh well...so I'm getting to bed 30 minutes later...I think I'll survive. ha ha

KC said...

Wow Jen, you are the Coupon Queen! :)
Have you ever heard of the "Grocery Game"? I don't know if it is available in your area or not. But this lady checks all of the coupons against the "triple coupon" days at the grocery store closest to where you are (albertson's, kroger, etc). She then tells you which coupon to use, (and which ones to hold off on). My friend Stefanie used to do this, and she would get $200 worth of groceries and household items for like $10 or actually get money back without paying a cent! It is amazing!

Logzie said...

Wahooo!! Another great Thrifty Thursday post! I am also a coupon connie but I don't get the newpaper so I don't have that many. But one of my future T.T. posts was going to be to make sure you check the manufactur's website before making a purchase.

This is SO much fun!!!! :0)

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm a friend of Amos and Diva's. Thought I'd take a look at your blog. A coupon purse... what a great idea!! I am all the time forgetting where I put my coupons or getting tired of staring at them laying on the counter. Thanks for the tip!