II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Brown Bag It!

PHASE ONE

So....some of you have heard of this before and others of you will raise your eyebrows and say "What?????" but today I spent most of the day putting brown paper bags on the wall in Grant's room. Well, technically, I used rolls of brown packaging paper...but you can actually use grocery bags. It's a technique that results in a "leather" wall. I saw it once years ago and LOVED it and have wanted to do it ever since. When I decided on doing a western theme in Grant's big-boy room...I knew this was the perfect opportunity. I googled it online first to get some pointers and then I set out---ripping, crinkling and then gluing the paper to the wall. This is a very simple job...but majorly time consuming. In all, I probably spent about 6 hours doing this. The kids helped though by crunching up the paper into balls for me and ripping them up. (the more rough edges and wrinkles in the paper--the better the effect). I was so glad to put my last peice of paper up on the wall and be done for the day. Now the next step is to apply a layer of brown shoe polish to the top of it which will give it that smooth, creamy, leathery look--and will really accent all the torn edges and wrinkles. I will do that tomorrow. For now...here is what it looks like in PHASE TWO . Tomorrow I will complete the project and post a picture of the final result. Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

KC said...

This looks amazing! When I first started reading this, I thought you must be out of your mind! haha But this really does look rustic and perfect for the cowboy room. You are so creative Jen. I would never have dreamed of doing something like this, but it looks great!

Logzie said...

Sorry! I started reading from the top...(I had posted a comment earlier asking how you did that?)

Anyway, I think that is awesome! It turned out great!! You are VERY creative.