II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Children listen to what we say, but they learn from what we do!

That is one of my all-time favorite quotes and I have it posted on my desk but haven't read it in a while. For some reason, tonight while I was working, my eyes were drawn to it and I took a minute to think about it and how it applies to my life. I have to admit, it makes me cringe rather than feel proud---that my children are learing from what I do more than from what I say! I watched Dr. Phil the other day and he was telling a mother something that I thought was a really good point. He said we tell our children not to do something and then get mad at them for forgetting and doing it anyway but aren't there things in your life (for instance a quick temper, over-eating, yelling) that you tell yourself your not going to do anymore and then before you know it...there you are doing that very thing!? He said, "You can't expect to hold a 5 year old to a higher standard than you do yourself." Wow! That was what I needed to hear. Sometimes I am SO hard on Brooklyn..when she is only being human---and 5. Anyway, just wanted to share that with you all. Maybe it will help someone else out there see things in a different perspective. Love you all!!!

1 comments:

KC said...

I needed this today...Seth just stomped a Pop-tart into my carpet. I have told him over and over to keep it in the kitchen and not to tear it apart...but does his listen NO! Then I am so mad I spank his bottom, clean his feet, and then put him in his bed while I clean my carpet...that was the safest place for him. I was so mad I was afraid if I even looked at him, I would spank him again! ARRHHH!!!! 2 year olds!!!!