II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Super Nanny

Well, I didn't end up spending "a few hours in the pool" like I thought I would. I forgot the pump for our pool was not working which means the water wasn't the cleanest and certainly not something I wanted to soak for hours in. So, instead I sat down and watched 2 episodes of Super Nanny that I had recorded from Monday night. It was so nice to suggle up on my couch (all alone) and just chill in the A/C. It's very unusual for me to (what I call) "waste" a whole afternoon, but even I need a break every now and then. Any more than an afternoon though and I'd be goin' crazy. What can I say, I like to be busy. It makes me feel needed and necessary. Anyhow after watching Super Nanny, I have concluded two things: #1 My children aren't nearly as "naughty" as I thought and #2 I better take control of Brooklyn's smarty-pants attitude before it gets out of control. I kinda feel sorry for her actually because ever since I turned the T.V. off (after having watched those 2 episodes) I have been REALLY strict with her. She probably doesn't know what the heck happened. She actually even screamed "I know you guys hate me!" at me....for which I explained to her that the Bible says if a parent loves their child, they are to discipline them...which is why I am showing her how much I love her by the woopins she's gettin on her butt. I know it sounds kind of harsh, but it's true and totally what the parents on Super Nanny needed to be told. They kept saying how they just couldn't discipline their kids because they "loved them so much and they don't want to hurt them." HELLLOOOO.....if you love your kids, you will help them become functioning, kind, respectful children, teens and eventually, adults. Kids who never experience any consequences for their actions will have a horrible time in this mean, unforgiving world. No one else is going to baby them like mommy and daddy do.
Anyway, I didn't mean to go into all that..but I am trying to burn some time while I wait for Brooklyn to fall asleep. My office is just outside her room and about the only way I can get her to stay in her bed is for me to sit here at my computer till she falls asleep. I haven't heard from her in a few minutes though...so maybe she's out. Goodnight and have a wonderful weekend!

1 comments:

Amy said...

You should read this book I'm reading now called "1-2-3-Magic". It has some great parenting techiniques that really seem to work! (I'm reading it and using this method with my kids right now but it's still too early to tell how it will work.) Some of the other teachers I work with swear by this way of discipline and their classes are SO much better behaved than mine! I thought it was worth a shot.
By the way, did you ever read The Red Tent?