II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Now Showing...

I am a teensy bit ashamed to say this...but I have been to the movies 4 times in the past 2 weeks (3 of them just THIS past week)! It's very unusual for me to go that often..but for some reason, it just worked out that way. Anyway, since I've seen so many of the movies that are on the big screen right now, I thought I'd give you all my assessments of them in case you are considering going to see any of them.

Invincible
Matt and I went to see this on a date night and we were pleasantly surprised. It was a heartwarming story with a little bit of language but definitely worth going to see. It will remind you that hard work and determination always pay off. A good movie to see with your hubby.

Material Girls
A friend of mine and I took our 5-year-old daughters to see this movie. While it was only rated PG, there were a couple of times I cringed to myself that I'd suggested bringing these 2 little girls to such a "grown-up" movie. The movie opens with Hilary Duff and her sister Hailey Duff in a bar/dance club where there are people drinking, smoking and "dirty" dancing. Not exactly what I want impressed upon my 5-year-old. All in all, the movie was pretty good but looking back on it, I wouldn't choose it for small children. Mainly because the plot is way too mature for them to understand. I'd recommend renting this one when it comes out on video and watching it with your girlfriends.

How to Eat Fried Worms
My mom and I took Brooklyn to see this for our "girls night out" last Thursday. I'm sure given the opportunity, my mom would give it a completley different review than I am about to...but I LOVED it. (she was totally disgusted and had to turn her head away a lot.) Sure, there are some totally gross parts where they are frying or microwaving worms...but all in all...What a FUN movie!! It was clean with very few offending parts (other than the refererence to a woman in the movie who they call a witch and say she has 2 heads..one of which she carries around in a bag. (gross!)) Brooklyn really enjoyed it and has been talking about it ever since. It has the classic story line of the under-dog boy being picked on by the bully...but then of course, the cute girl likes the boy being picked on and they "fall in love."(or as much "in love" as 10 year olds can be- ha ha) Totally a movie worth taking your kids to....ESPECIALLY if you have boys!! (and that includes the big boy you married!)

The Gridiron Gang
Matt and I went to see this with another couple Saturday night. Rated PG13 for it's violence and some language, this movie was a winner with the men and women alike and is a Must-See. It is a similar story to the movie The Longest Yard but with even more emotion and sentiment. Your heart breaks to see these young boys who've been raised in the inter-city areas of CA and living the only life they've known (gangs, violence, crime) keeping the cycle going. Thankfully, someone finally cares enough about them to find a way to help them gain self-confidence and self-worth, things they've never known, by playing the sport America loves, Football. With no major actors, this movie was surprisingly good! Definitely a Go-See!

2 comments:

Amy said...

J and I just watched "Inside Man" w/Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster on pay-per-view. It was SO good! We actually recorded it so we could watch it again...something I NEVER do! Very much an adult movie because of some grownup (bad) language but not overly so. I thought it was such a good "date night" movie. Drama and shooting for the guys but not too much violence for the women. How can that be? Just watch the movie and you'll see. It's good. It's kinda the nicest sort of bank robber movie you'll see. I know that doesn't make sense, but it will after you watch. :)

Amy said...

Actually, now that I think about it...the language is pretty bad in that movie. Just a warning. :)