II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Timely gifts?

I'm one of those people who loves to give very thought-out, useful, meaningful gifts. I can't STAND to just go buy something just for the sake of giving someone a gift. I also take pride and joy in getting a bargain. Meaning I am able to give something to someone that maybe originally cost $50 but I only paid $20 for it. That being said, I keep my eyes open all year round for things I can give people either for b-day gifts or at Christmas that I know will be special and just perfect for them, and for bargains, of course. When I find something, I buy it and put it in my "gift closet" to hold until that special occasion...which most often is Christmas. But here's where the whole ?question? about it comes up....is it totally weird and un-natural to give people stuff for Christmas that can only be used in Summer? For instance, beach towels, a cute swim-suit cover up, sandals....
Last year at the end of summer I found a GREAT deal on those picnic blanket things. They are waterproof vinyl on one side and then like soft cotton on the other side (cute prints). They are normally $20 at Target but I found them for $4.99 so I bought them all. I thought they would be perfect gifts for all the young married's in my family (I have several neices and nephews who are just starting their families). But when it came time to wrap them up, it just felt really dumb and weird giving them something like a picnic blanket when there's 6 inches of snow on the ground outside.
This year I found a STEAL on NICE beach towels at Kohl's. These towels were regularly selling for $24.99/each and I got them for $4.13/each. I bought them up and now they are sitting in my gift closet and I am already feeling like a big DORK for thinking of giving beach towels to people for Christmas.
So.....I wonder....am I really strange for doing this? Would you think "how weird!" if you got a beach towel from someone for Christmas? Does it make me look cheap? Do any of you do stuff like this?

8 comments:

Kate said...

i don't think it's a big deal - especially the blankets; those always come in handy. most people would be very appreciative and would lvoe the idea; especially if they're your family. if not, oh well, right? you put thought into it and that's what matters most.

i always mean to buy things as i see them so i'm not racing and getting someone a meaningless gift before their b-day or Christmas. somehow, i never do, though. which reminds me, hubby's b-day is 3 months from tomorrow. i should start looking NOW.

Sol said...

You are the US version of me! lol I have all my Christmas presents, except for one niece who I give money to as she is at university.

Put them all together, blanket, beach towel, and a few summer things. And then make a snazzy card, telling them to pretend they are Australian and have a HOT Xmas. Or something like that. I always go on the thought. I would love one of those blankets!

Jenelle said...

I'm right there with "Slice of Life." Thoughtful gifts transcend season. If you want, just add a little personal touch, make it "kit" or a "basket" of things that go with it. Let your imagination loose and I'm sure they will love it.

One of my favorite gifts to give is a date night at home basket - dvd (or blockbuster gift card), blanket, popcorn, bottle of sparkling juice, etc.

As far as the season thing goes, an off-season gift can be nice. My birthday, anniversary, and christmas are all late fall and winter. That means it's hard to get fun spring/summer things without getting them myself. Struggle with my oldest who has a winter birthday. It's kind of cruel to give a kid a bike with a foot of snow on the ground...

Beverly said...

I don't think it is weird at all. In fact I got my mom a fountain for her yard last christmas. It was originally $150.00 and I paid $30.00 for it and I know how much she enjoys that kind of stuff.

Amos said...

Hey, we have needed new beach towels for quite some time, so if you wrap them up and give them to me, I would LOVE it. No, really you don't have to give them to me. I think it is great that you go for the bargains. Maybe rather than just the beach towel for the gift, give some other little things with it, to make it a "theme" present with lots of little extras. Like a gift basket almost. But still the bargain gift basket. Most often we think of the gift around the Christmas time of year, and forget to put the everyday things on our lists, and then it gets to that season and we are wishing for it once again. I think it's great!!!

Amy said...

You are so thoughtful and giving! Don't worry about if it's "in-season" or not. If it's something you found that you thought would make a great gift, chances are you are RIGHT! And it doesn't matter what time of year it is. The receiver of the gift should just be thankful you took the time to think of them and spent your time, effort and hard-earned money buying them a gift.

We are so much alike though. I have totally thought the same thing. I found a cute bumblebee suncatcher and bought myself one and one for my sister for her birthday. She never mentioned it, so I'm still second-guessing myself about that gift! We are WAY too hard on ourselves! I need to take my own advice. Just give the gift. Think about it like this...if it's something you would like to receive, then it's a good gift, right? :)

Love ya girl!

smiling's my favorite said...

I have to "validate" your thinking that maybe people might think it's strange. If I am being COMPLETELY honest and someone gave me a beach towel for Chrismas, my first thought might be... haun... that's different. I have to agree, it is thoughtful to shop all year round, and sweet... good for you. It's just a little unusual to get beach towels for Christmas.

Teresa said...

I think a gift is a gift and all should be appreciated no matter what it is! I have often thought the same thing about how there are a ton of things that I could ask for or need in the spring and summer months but both my birthday and Christmas are in the fall and winter. I think it's a great idea!!