II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Day of School

Freedom comes in all kinds of packages...today mine came in the form of SCHOOL!!! Hooray! The kids were so glad to be going back! First I took Brooklyn this morning. She got the teacher she had been hoping for (hooray!!) I can't believe she's already in 2nd grade! I actually starting crying last night when I had to fill out a whole page "about my child" and I reflected on what a special, special little girl she really is. One of my favorite things about her is that she likes to single out the most un-liked child in a group, and befriend them. It's like her calling. She can't stand to see anyone be picked on or looked down upon. Last year, she buddied up with a little boy who had some mental disabilities. Because of her friendship, he blossomed in their classroom (and that is according to the teacher and the little boy's mom who were both VERY grateful for Brooklyn's mother-hen instincts toward him). She doesn't have any friends from last year OR from Kindergarten in her class this year, so she was a little bummed out...but I think it may just be God's way of broadening her friendship-spectrum.
Although I didn't buy either of them any new clothes for school...(they SO didn't need any)...she pulled out her favorite outfit and we did her nails and toes (french manicure). I also dried her hair and helped her style it this morning. She was very happy with how she looked...which makes mama happy! Here she is struttin her stuff!




Grant ended up getting afternoon Pre-K instead of mornings like we had hoped for. I was really bummed at first, but I think it's gonna be okay. Again...could very well be God planned it this way. It's only been one day and already I have noted several benefits to the afternoon class. Anyway, even though he wouldn't admit it to me (Mr. Tuff Guy) I think he was pretty nervous about his first day at "big" school, as he calls it. Here are a few pics of him getting ready (I couldn't resist the nudy shot...he's so skinny and tan!) and then all spiffed up in his "G" shirt and camo shoes and backpack.






This is how he looked most of the time today...very quiet.

Here is one of him at school and the lady in the background in the white shirt is his teacher.



And lastly, here is one of him sitting at his "desk".

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh my gosh...Grant like GREW UP since the last pictures I'd seen of him! Wow! I remember how he was still very much baby face looking when I first started reading your blog and now he looks so grown up!

Both of your children are so precious!

Tammy said...

Wow! Happy First Day of School! They look ADROABLE. Love their outftis and Brooklyn's sassy silver shoes are so cool. Hope they have a wonderful year (and mommy enjoys a little free time too!)

Kate said...

Yeah for school! And now hopefully a little more free time for you during the day :)

Summer sure did fly by, didn't it? The kids look adorable and very happy to be back in class!

Sheri said...

Your daughter sounds like a little angel. The world could definitely use more kindness like that!