II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Which is better?

okay, I know the answer to this question is "both" but ....
if you had to over hear your kids' friends saying something about you would you rather hear?

"your mom is So Hot!"
or
"your mom is So Fun!"

Ha ha...but I was actually thinking about this today. It seems like the moms of the kids in Brooklyn's school can be categorized into 2 general categories:
1. The ones who are into themselves...looking good, working out, dressing trendy and like things nice and neat and organized
OR
2. The ones who are NOT into doing anything for themselves...dress like they're 50 and are overweight...BUT...who are all about games, crafts, getting dirty and laughing a lot.
I thought....hmmmm...I wonder which one I'd be. I concluded that I am probably more in the 1st group...even though I seriously doubt I'll ever overhear any of my kids friends saying that "I'm so hot" but....I am certainly not having nearly as much fun (with my kids) as I should be. I spend so much time either at the gym or getting "ready" a day. It seems like a lot of the really "Fun" moms I know don't ever go to the gym or dress up or even put on make up or do their hair...but...they really make things fun for their kids and don't mind a mess if it means they had a good time.
The question is...how do you find that balance and be "both"???

4 comments:

Logzie said...

Oh...it's tough!! I always wondered how you did it Jen...especially after I read how many classes you take at your gym...I was blown away. I have also wondering this before when I see Mom's with the nice straight hair and I know that is hard to get without spending some time on it. I would love to straighten my hair but I just don't have the time nor am I willing to get up early just to do it. I also wonder when these Mom's find the time to shop for all those cute clothes! I don't usually want to spend the money but the bigger problem is that I wouldn't have the TIME even if I did have the money!!

My answer is that on days that I don't have to leave the house, I don't do my hair or makeup and I hang out in my excercize clothes. Those are very rare days...they only happen maybe once every 2 weeks if that. Most days I do manage to get my hair and makeup done and decent clothes on. I do think it's important to not have too many days where you don't "get ready" because it shows your husband he IS worth your time as well. So many women just resort to throwing their hair up into a ponytail and wearing sweats for days and weeks on end just because they are Mommies and I honestly don't think that is healthy for their marriage or their own self confidence. That's just my opinion. I do realize that there are time periods or circumstances in life which may demand that and I hope we would all have our priorities in order and are able to sacrafice the correct things if need be.

I often wonder if I had no time contraints or financial limits...what I would look like! HA!

KC said...

Ya know girl, I definitely think you are the "Hot Mom". But you can be a Hot Momma and a Fun Momma at the same time. I don't think you have to look frumpy just because you are a Mommy. You can workout, and take care of yourself, and still be fun. Plus, by workout out, you are making sure that you will be here for your children for a long time to come! Those who don't take time for themselves, to workout, are usually overweight...which leads to tons of health problems and a shorter life expectancy. So each time I workout, I don't think "I could be spending time with my kids", I think "I am going to be healthy and in shape, so I can spend time playing with my kids, and helping them to learn to love exercise and an active lifestyle."

So don't be to hard on yourself. Just try to set aside time everyday to spend with your kids. Playing, or even exercising together. The boys love to workout with us. It is so cute! They grab their little 2 lb weights, and lift those while I do weight training. They know most of the moves now! haha :) It is cute to see them doing push-ups, and crunches. :)

I agree with Logzie. There are some days where I don't put on makeup or do my hair and live in workout clothes (or swimming suits). But I try not to do that all the time, simply because I want my husband to know that he is worth my time. I like to look nice when he gets home from work. He deserves that. Even if I don't have much time, I at least get dressed in real clothes, fix my hair, and put on mascara! haha :)

So, if I have my choice, I would want to be BOTH! :)

Joy Winton said...

You are so funny Jen! I totally think that you are both, and you know what else, your kids are watching you. They see you as a confident, fit, Christian mother. I think that it is great that you are dedicated to working out. Like they said, you are going to be here for your kids longer and you will also be enjoying your retirement rather than dealing with heart attacks and such.

I think you are also the fun mom. I always see your pics of taking kids to the lake, craft time, playing in the pool and everything else. Don't be so hard on yourself for taking an hour of time for yourself everyday. They will thank you later for doing that. Keep up the great work, you are a sweetheart!
Love ya,
Joy

Joy Winton said...

You are so funny Jen! I totally think that you are both, and you know what else, your kids are watching you. They see you as a confident, fit, Christian mother. I think that it is great that you are dedicated to working out. Like they said, you are going to be here for your kids longer and you will also be enjoying your retirement rather than dealing with heart attacks and such.

I think you are also the fun mom. I always see your pics of taking kids to the lake, craft time, playing in the pool and everything else. Don't be so hard on yourself for taking an hour of time for yourself everyday. They will thank you later for doing that. Keep up the great work, you are a sweetheart!
Love ya,
Joy