II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Drama and Trauma

Today, since it is in the 80's in NOVEMBER!!!, I thought I'd take the kids to the park to play. As soon as we got there and got all unloaded, Brooklyn had to go to the bathroom, so we loaded back up and ran down the street to the Health Department to use the bathroom (it was the only place close by). When we got back, we all played for a while and then I settled in a nice spot at a picnic table to look through a magazine while I watched them play. All was well until super-mommy showed up. You know her too, I'm sure. She's the mom at the park who joins her kids in playing the WHOLE time and acts like she is 4 just like them. All of the kids are drawn to her because WHAT FUN...a giant kid. Okay, I know I am being super-crital...but this is my standpoint: I played with my kids for about half an hour...(before she got there) and then I had planned to let them play by theirselves for the next half hour so I could get some me-time in as well. There's nothing wrong with that is there? However, this is where the problem comes in. Since she's right there playing right along with both her kids and now my kids...every time one of my kids needs anything...they ask her. Meanwhile, I am feeling guilty as heck sitting over there just drinking my Crystal Light and looking through a magazine. If she weren't there, I wouldn't have gotten up unless my kids really needed me. (they were having her "catch" them at the bottom of the slide or push them in the swing or push them on the merry-go-round thing.) I would have just told them to play by theirselves for a bit. However, since she was there doing it all, I felt obligated to get up and do all these things for my kids. BTW, I did tell them to stop asking her to do things...but that went in one ear and out the other. Anyway, I feel like a big crybaby saying all this...but really, I was SO bugged by it. What's ya'lls opinion?
Now...onto Part 2 of this story. Eventually super-mommy left the park and things were just like I had wanted them for about 5 minutes. Then one of Brooklyn's friends from school showed up (which was great) and so I decided we'd stay a little longer. Well...there are 3 slides at this particular park. One is really small and short (for little-bitty's), one is medium sized and then there is a really tall metal one. Well, I had told my kids I didn't want them to play on that one without me being right there with them because it is too tall for Grant to go up by himself--so they'd just left that one alone. But now, Brooklyn's friend wanted to play on that one and of course, then so did my kids...so I just decided to put my magazine away and go over and let them play on it for a bit before we left. So...I am standing right there at the bottom of the stairs watching Grant go up and when he got to the very top (probably 10 feet from the ground) he turned around to wave at me, lost his balance and toppled head over heels down to the ground banging his head/face against the metal stairs. I was right there so I caught him before he actually hit the ground...but I was SO scared to look at him. MIRACULOUSLY, he only had a chipped tooth and a knot on his head. I honestly expected him to be covered in blood. I kept checking him over and over to be sure...but that was it. Still, the knot on his head was growing at an alarming rate and turning purple! Long story short, I ended up just calling the dr. office and they told me not to worry too much unless it started sinking inward, which it hasn't. They told me not to let him go to sleep for 2 hours, so he's just now down for his nap, but other than that...all is well. Phew! What an afternoon! I just thank God that he wasn't hurt badly! Well, time to go cook some supper! I'm making another new recipe tonight...so if it's good, I'll post it on the recipe diva site. BTW, if you don't know what I am talking about...you need to go to http://recipedivas.blogspot.com and check it out!

3 comments:

Logzie said...

WOW Jen!!! Where do I start?? POOR Grant...oh my gosh...that sounded AWEFUL! I cannot imagine having to watch your baby falling that far and hitting his head the whole way down! Atleast you caught him! Thank you Jesus! I am SO glad he is ok!

Next--I CANNOT stand those kind of Mother's either! But you my friend are a better person than me. B/C I would have just sat there anyway thinking "hey...it's your fault...deal with it!"...ah I say that now but I probably would have gotten up too! :0)
It's really starting to scare me...how much we are alike!!!!!! HE HE...

Amos said...

That sure makes a mother's heart drop right out of their chest. Praise the Lord that he did not hurt himself more than that. Still, that had to hurt pretty bad. Glad that he is doing better.

KC said...

Poor Grant!!!! I think I would have passed out! I can't stand to see my babies get hurt. But I am glad I am not the only mother who goes through things like this. My two boys (2 1/2 and 4 yrs) seem to always have bumps/bruises, and half the time I don't know how they get them all. My husband says they are just BOYS, and to expect it. His mother warned me that he was always hurt...as a matter of fact, I don't think he has really outgrown it yet...haha