II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bringing Baby Home-Chapter 2/The End!

I remember the day I found out I was pregnant for the 2nd time. I was having a garage sale and it was the first day of my missed period. I had been trying to get pregnant for 2 months and I just had a feeling this was it. Even though it was technically too early to really do a test (I should have waited a few more days), I couldn't stand the suspense so I did one. Sure enough, it came up positive. I immediately changed out of the shirt I was wearing into a maternity shirt! As if I was "showing" already! Ha Ha. Actually, during the previous 2 months that I had been "trying" to get pregnant, I had gained 20 pounds!!! I guess I figured since I was going to get pregnant anyway, no sense in watching my weight anymore! Ugh! What a DUMMY! Anyway Matt happened to be at work that day so I called his cell phone to tell him the news but he ddn't answer so I hung up and called my parents. My dad answered so he was the first to hear. Little did I know, HE would end up being the one to tell Matt! Before I got ahold of Matt, my dad had to go to work..(they worked at the same place then) and so dad walked up to Matt and said, "Congratulations!!" Matt was like, "Huh? What are you talking about?" Dad said, "About the baby." About that time I called Matt again and when I told him the BIG NEWS...he said, "Yah, I already know. Your dad told me." Like it was no big deal! Ergh! Men!
So...skip ahead 8 months to D-day. Again...my due date came and went with not so much as a single contraction. My doctor decided to induce if I hadn't gone into labor by that weekend since she was on call and would be at the hospital anyway. Turns out I started having contractions the day I was scheduled for induction so I ended up just going in at my assigned time (7 pm) and they went ahead and hooked me all up. I was progressing at a wonderful rate and I was breathing through the contractions and having nice little conversations in between. Everything was good and I was feeling very strong and determined that I would NOT get an epidural this time. I consider myself to be a VERY strong woman and I felt/feel like if other woman can do it...then by GOLLY I for SURE can do it! When I got to 6 cm, my doctor decided to break my water and see if things sped up any. Well, one thing for sure sped up...the PAIN! By the time I got to 8 cm, I was in so much pain I honestly think I was "losing my mind". It was like this threshold of strength had been broken and suddenly I felt helpless and weak and I started bawling. Immediately I wanted an epidural and I mean NOW ladies! ha ha Once the epidural was in place, everything calmed back down and slowed down. It was the PERFECT epidural. I had feeling and sensation everywhere...just no pain. Absolutely what I wanted. Instead of an intense cramp when I would have a contraction, I would just feel a strong tightening and maybe just a teensy twinge of pain...but I could totally handle that. Eventually it was time to push and after about an hour of vein-popping, teeth gritting pushing, Grant Harrison arrived. May 13th, 4:44 am, 7 lb.s 7 oz. He had lots of dark hair and beautiful skin. I fell in love with him immediately (very unlike my first birth where it took me several days to really feel an attachment--sounds bad but very normal). Anyway, it was love at first sight and I didn't want him out of my sight. I slept with him in my arms, ate with him in my arms and felt a twinge of jealosy when anyone else held him. Crazy and completely ironic because I thought the bond between a mother and a son wouldn't be nearly as strong as between a mother and daughter. Now, here we are almost 3 years later and I am still as infatuated with this little guy as I was back then. I probably smother him with all my hugs and kisses...but I just can't resist. His sister, who I'd love to snuggle and hug and kiss has NEVER liked that kind of thing and still pushes you away if you hold on too tightly or too long.

Most of you already know...but while I was pregnant with Grant, my doctor discovered I had the beginning stages of cervical cancer. It was a cluster or group of pre-cancerous cells basically. Anyway, they monitored it and did biopsies throughout my pregnancy and then afterwards (when Grant was about 3 months old) I went in and had surgery to have it removed. At my post-op doctors visit, I asked for an IUD (intra-uterine device) which prevents pregnancy for up to 7 years. She tried to put one in for me but couldn't because I had too much scar tissue from the surgery. I came back a couple of months later for them to try again and with several nurses and two doctors, they finally got the thing in, albeit through a very unconvential way. So...that is where I am now. I haven't taken any permanent steps to ensure that I don't get pregnant again because it just seemed like we were too young to make a decision with such finality at our young (ish) ages. However, now that it's been 3 years, we are more sure than ever that our family is complete. I don't know if one of us will get "fixed" or if I'll just keep getting IUD's every 7 years...but I'm fairly certain that we are done.

So that's it...the story of my babies. Hope you enjoyed and will find time to tell your story (ies).


Logzie said...

Ok, I finally posted my part 1. I was so busy this week with Chuck being in L.A. again all week. But, it's done now. Enjoy.

P.S.-I enjoyed your stories!!