II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Cry Baby

Just wondering...Why is it that children cry so much more loudly than adults? When I cry, no one knows unless they look into my eyes. My face doesn't shrivel all up, I don't groan and moan and shriek and gasp. Tears just slip silently down my cheeks. If I am out-right sobbing (which rarely occurs--if ever), a small "sob" might escape every now and then but still, one would have to be very observant to even notice.
HOWEVER...
When children cry, one would have to be deaf and blind to NOT notice. (at least my children anyway) It goes on for what seems like an eternity and gets more dramatic with each passing moment, especially if anyone is watching/listening. Brooklyn gets in as much trouble for crying as she does for everything else put together. It can be something so tiny that sets her off too. Like tonight, while she was putting on a fashion show for us, Matt mentioned that her shirt looked like something Michael Jackson wore and she ran from the room all upset. Who knew that would be such an offensive comment!!?? Those of you who know her know she can be quite dramatic but these days, she is also very emotional and sensitive. (I hate to think what it will be like when she is a teenager coupled with PMS!!)
Anyway, is it just for attention that kids cry like that or is it actually genuine? Maybe they are incapable of crying silently..? Mine are anyway.
So, if any of you know of a way to stop a kid from crying loudly and endlessly, please let me know. Around here...if you get onto her for crying, it just causes more of the same. Whaaaaaaaaahhh!!!

1 comments:

Amy said...

If anyone knows the answer to this one, I'd love to hear it too! This would come in so handy w/the 12 3-year olds I teach. One or more of them is ALWAYS crying about something. Oh, and I'll name my first child after you if you can tell me how to get kids not to tattle! I get so sick of every minute or so hearing in that you're gonna get it tone of voice "Ummmmmmm!!! Ms Amy! So and so did ...." (fill in the blank)
Drives me nuts!