II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Friday, April 21, 2006

The Toilet Monster

Okay, this is a plea to all the other mommies out there who read this. Can anyone tell me WHAT to do about scaredy-kids? Brooklyn is terrified to go into the bathroom by herself anymore and will practially make herself sick (by holding it) until someone will accompany her to the restroom. This is about to DRIVE ME CRAZY! Besides the fact that I am always busy...sitting in the bathroom while someone else stinks it up doesn't rank high on my list of favorite things to do. If she does happen to go by herself, she runs out so fast that she leaves a little dribble of pee across the toilet seat and never flushes. I wonder what mean monster lives in the bathroom? Ok, I'm not being fair. I've been scared before---plenty of times. Terrified even---but not every day, every time. Even when I was a kid, it came in spurts rather than a constant state of panic. I just don't know how to deal with this. Do I let her "win" and go with her everytime (and PRAY she outgrows it) or make her "face her fears" and go alone? Neither thing has seemed to work thus far. If I go along...it just continues the problem---but if I make her go it alone, it turns into a big, drawn-out battle to which she either eventually wins anyway or makes herself sick.
I know this isn't a very pleasant subject and actually, it surfaces in other areas of her life too...like bedtime. Every night is an ordeal. Someone must read her stories (which is fine) then tuck her in (fine too) and then "lay with her" (not fine). The biggest problem with one of us laying with her is that we inevitably fall asleep too..which makes for no couple-time for us. (not cool) Then as if that isn't enough, she comes and gets in our bed (in-between us) nearly every night anyway. I used to make her go back to her own bed and I would just sleep in there with her for a little while...but maybe it's something about living in the country, I don't know...but I can't seem to wake up anymore (during the night). Since we've lived here, I have begun sleeping so soundly that I don't even notice her getting in.
Okay, well, I guess I need to get up. Matt's outside with the kids waiting on me to paint a light-pole he got today. Any suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

0 comments: