II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Being told your acting like a 4 year old isn't a compliment...that is, unless your 2.

Okay, for all those of you who have children below the age of 4, or don't have kids yet...this is a WARNING...you may not want to read any further. What I am about to say might shock and scare you as well as give you a sense of hopelessness. We've all heard of the terrible twos...but when your kid turns four...well, that's just double the trouble! I have come to the conclusion that the age 4 is my least favorite (so far anyway!) 4 year olds like to ask lots of questions...but they think they have all the answers too. For instance, my daughter, who is wise beyond her years, has an answer for every question...and usually has something to say in response to even declarative statements. This is more commonly referred to as "talking back" or "back talk". It is one of the more frustrating things in my life right now. It is also usually accompanied by the "whine". Here is a classic scenario of the back-talk/whine phenomenon in our house. I say "Brooklyn, lets go pick out your clothes for school tomorrow." She responds, "Okay but it is my day to pick and I am going to wear the pinkish-purplish skirt." I say, "No, you are not going to wear that...you just wore that on Tuesday." She replies, "Yes I am going to wear it...it is my day to pick clothes and that's what I pick." I say, "No you are not going to wear it and that is final...I don't want to hear another word about it." (now begins the whine part--so you may want to read this in a high-pitched, fingernail-on-a-chalboard kind of tone--just to keep it realistic) "But mom, pleeeeaaseeeeeee, I really want to, its my day to pick, pleeeeeassseeee, hmmmphhhhh!, I'll do anything if you'll let me wear it, pleeeeaaaassseeeee, pleeeeaaasseee, pulllllleeeeeeze, etc."
Now is where I am having the problem...at this point I can either put up with the whining or spank her...for which I will pay the price. You see, I know if I spank her, I have at least another 20 minutes of crying/whining to listen to...and yet, if I don't spank her...she's likely to keep this up forever.
"Why God, didn't you require us to take a test and qualify before you gave us these little walking, talking patience-testers?"
I am not sure I will ever figure out the right way to handle all this...but thankfully she's only going to be four for another 3 more months. I am counting on 5 to be much better...it's my only hope!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, gee. Do I really want to stay at home? Sounds like you have your hands full. I can not believe that she is almost 5 years old! It sure has flown by.
Love ya,
Joy