II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Nanny Nanny Boo Boo

Well, we got rid of "Poopy Head" (for the most part) but it has been replaced with "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo". How a 2-year-old picks up phrases like this and knows how to use them is beyond me. I have to think he's learned them at school because Brooklyn has never said either of those two things. What amazes me is that he says "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo" at the appropriate times (if there is such a thing! ha ha). Like if I give him a peice of candy and don't give one to Brooklyn...he'll say it. I didn't realize 2-year-olds understood things like that...but I guess so. That's one thing I can say about my kids...they don't lack in vocabulary skills. The other day I let Brooklyn peel potatoes for me. She was doing pretty good, but this one weirdly shaped potato was giving her trouble and she said, "Mom, this potato is being contrary!" I thought...how in the world does a 5-year-old know the word 'contrary' AND know how to use it? Wow! She has a love for words and their uses just like her mama! Ever since she's been able to talk, she's been asking what words mean and has amazed people with her vocabulary. Granted, there are a few words I'd LOVE to take out of her vocabulary too like "Whatever" and "Stupid" and the one she said last night "Bull Crap!" Poor thing. When she said that I instantly reached over and slapped her on the arm and said "You Don't Say That!" and she looked at me so innocently and said, "Why mom? Is that a bad word?" I guess I just assumed she knew.
Well, anyway, I am in a writing mood and I'd LOVE to go on and on talking about my little cuties...but I have LOTS of work to do and I need to get it done while they are at school. But, let me leave you with one final thing. If any of you are looking for a good movie...rent Akeelah and the Bee. We LOVED it. You will especially like it if you enjoy words/spelling and word originations, but it is a fun movie even if you aren't a word-nut.
Okay...Happy Tuesday to you all! (Ps. For those of you who are keeping up with my headache troubles...I have been headache free for 2 days and counting! Halleluah!!!)

2 comments:

Amos said...

OH BOY! That first word came from my two! Sorry. I have no idea where they got it from, but I'm sure that yours got if from mine because they have been saying it for awhile now. Logan doesn't say it much anymore because he got his mouth washed out with soap and that finished it off mostly. But Ryan says it still and I have to spank him every time. But when I am not around or not looking I know if comes out again. UGH!

Yep, kids sure do pick up very quickly on words we say. Like Logan saying idiot, because I say that when I am driving. You don't even notice until it is repeated in the back seat! The joys of parenting.

Amy said...

Jen,
OH BOY is right! :) I accidentally said "Oh, crap!" at school because I slightly cut my finger and I was SO afraid my kids were going to pick that up. Thank goodness they didn't, but next time I might not get so lucky. It's pretty humbling (is that how you spell it?! You know that will drive me crazy now.)when the kids (even if they're not your children) catch you saying something you shouldn't.

One day, I let the kids see me/hear me give a hugh sigh of frustration at something one of the parents did and one of the kids quitely, tentatively said "Ms. Amy, are you mad at us?" Oh my gosh! I said "No, sweetie, I'm not mad at you at all! Ms. Amy's just really tired." Ok that was kinda a little white lie. I was mad, but certainly NOT at them! So I fibbed a little and said I was tired. A few minutes later, I heard that same little girl saying to her friends "Guys, Ms. Amy's not mad. She's just really tired." Wow! Talk about being humbled! I try so hard not to let them see me like that, but every once in a while...well, you know. You're a mom! :)