II Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"I'm coming for you Jose!"

Jose Cuervo, that is!
Yesterday was one of those days. Those "drive you to drinkin'" kind of days. I actually had to drive past the liquor store to get to the video store and came awfully close to making a quick stop for Mr. Jose. (which I've NEVER done in my life--shopped at a liquor store).
I'll spare you the details but it was basically like "the lights are on but nobody's home." I seriously think I went coo-coo yesterday. My low point was when I hurled a toy onto the floor as HARD as I could (one of Grant's airplanes that KEEPS breaking). I felt like such a loser though when he started screaming and crying because he thought I'd broken it for good. (which I didn't).
Thankfully, God doesn't give up on us, even when we're in coo-coo-ville. I opened up my Bible at lunch to where I had stuck the bulliton from church Sunday and low and behold...what scripture jumped off the page at me?
Psalm 42 (the whole chapter--but specifically) verse 11: "Why so downcast, oh my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

Yep.

So today I woke up and had a bit of a revelation. It's not my circumstances that are making me "so downcast"-- it's my perspective. It's how I'm letting my circumstances affect me that is putting me in the dumps. I've been a stay-at-home mom with a transcription job trying to clean house, cook and exercise for the past eight years--so nothing huge has changed. The reason I have a horrible day one day and a great day the next lies within the attitude with which I approach each day.

Yep.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hope you're having a better day today :) Kudos to you for not stopping at the liquor store. I've never been able to pass up the urge. Wine and I are good buddies :) lol. But only on occasion~

You know where the good word lies. Better days are ahead!

amanda said...

glad god spoke to you. and you listened. that's the important thing.

Christy said...

People have accused me of smiling too much at work. But I know work is sucks sometimes, but if I am unhappy and work sucks then that is a double whammy. You've got the right attitude!

Rissalee said...

coocooville...i think i'm the mayor of that town.

Your post reminded me of that country song: "Jose Cuervo, you are friend of mine..." Heard it?

Thanks for sharing the verse, what a good one too. And, you're right, a change of perspective does wonders for our soul. Now...how does one go about changing perspectives??? :o)

Unknown said...

Great post girl. What a wonderful scripture that God spoke to you..I love it when that happens :)